By Dawson Church, PhD, author of The Genie in Your Genes
“That might have been an adult sitting there in front of me… but the client within was a child. Actually, make that plural. Children–at various ages and stages. There was a baby who had been left alone too long in a dark room, crying. There was a 4-year-old who had gotten lost in a supermarket. There was a 7-year-old who had studied for the wrong test at school and been yelled at by the teacher.
“The client, in her 40s, tapping into her unconscious stores, vividly recalling these upsetting events, cried and raged and trembled–not with the intensity of a troubling memory, but with the intensity of an event being experienced in the NOW.
“From the perspective of the brain, [the bad event] hasn’t stopped happening. It’s never stopped happening. The event has simply been shoved down into the body, via the unconscious, as though shutting the door to a room that has a loud TV on in it. As the client continues to grow physically and mature, a part of them is trapped in that room.”
This story from EFT Universe trainer Naomi Janzen exemplifies the marks that fear leaves on the psyche. You’re now 25, or 35, or 65, yet you may still be driven by the adverse experiences of childhood. You live a life still gripped by fear even though decades have passed since the events that triggered your fear. Some of the most common fears are:
- Fear of public speaking
- Social phobias
- Fear of heights (acrophobia)
- Fear of open spaces (agoraphobia)
- Claustrophobia (fear of closed spaces)
- Fear of flying
- Fear of insects, spiders, worms, ants, wasps, moths, bees, or cockroaches
- Fear of germs (germophobia)
- Fear of small animals such as snakes, mice, frogs, and birds
- Fear of being alone or abandoned
- Fear of needles, injections, and dentists
- Being afraid of crowds or other people
- Fear of death, aging, sickness, hospitals, doctors, vomiting, blood, and pain
- Fear of failure
- Being unreasonably afraid of crime, strangers, or terrorism
- Fear of the dark
- Fear of intimacy or commitment
- Fear of water, the ocean, waves, or rain
- Being afraid of the future or technology
EFT tapping can help! There are over 100 studies of EFT and they show that tapping quickly eliminates the symptoms of PTSD, anxiety, depression, and phobias.
Here is a video of me talking about how EFT can help you with fears and phobias.
In a study I conducted with 216 healthcare workers such as therapists, doctors, nurses, and alternative medicine practitioners, we examined their levels of distress before and after an EFT tapping workshop (Church & Brooks, 2010). We measured anxiety, depression, phobias, and five other types of fear. We also measured the overall scope of mental health problems.
Their symptoms dropped by an average of 45% in just a single day. Their emotional distress around one especially bad childhood memory dropped by 83%. Tapping can give you, too, that kind of relief.
It makes me sad when I see people suffering needlessly. I know from reading the research and tapping with thousands of people that most of our fears can be quickly tapped away. On this site, and on this page, you’ll find all the resources you need to make a start. Please make use of them, starting right now! I don’t want you to suffer from needless fear for another minute.
Stories Written By People Like You and Me”¨
- Overcome Your Fear of Flying Using EFT Tapping
- EFT Dissolves a Lifelong Fear of Thunderstorms in 90 Minutes
- EFT for Overcoming Career Fears
- EFT Banishes a Massive Phobia of Snakes
- EFT Session for Water Phobia Saves Lives
Tap Along with These Videos
Take a Live EFT Tapping Workshop
We have workshops all over the world every month. Find one here.
Visit a Practitioner
Book a session with one of our highly trained certified Clinical EFT practitioners.
Learn EFT in Our Books
The EFT Manual by Dawson Church
EFT for the Highly Sensitive Temperament by Rue Hass
EFT for PTSD by Dawson Church
EFT for Teens by Peta Stapleton
Scientific studies on EFT tapping for anxiety
Scientific studies on EFT tapping for depression
Scientific studies on EFT tapping for phobias